Friday, April 22, 2005

One Nation, Minus God

Link to an interesting account here. Seems that a guidance counselor not only believes that "under God" shouldn't be in the Pledge of Allegiance, but that she has the authority to alter that pledge as she leads the student body to more closely suit her political views.

Eighth-grade counselor Margo Lucero, filling in for absent principal Kathleen Norton, changed a portion of the Pledge from "one nation under God" to "one nation under your belief system," while on the public- address system Wednesday morning.

When the little "alteration" was brought to light,

Christina Pulciani-Johnson talked to Norton and Lucero. She said Norton was apologetic but Lucero wasn't.

"She said, 'Yes, I said that because I believe that there should be separation between church and school. I believe that everybody should have their own beliefs and that we shouldn't have to say, 'under God.'


Now, as if that weren't enough, when under (obvious) pressure to offer an apology,

Lucero told The Denver Post that she didn't intend to create a stir and that she apologized to anyone she offended.


I want to repeat: "apologized to anyone she offended."

This is another of my real pet peeves. She didn't apologize for anything, and only to certain people--those who were offended. Now this may seem to be nitpicking, but an apology shouldn't be qualified, in my opinion. She may as well have said, "I didn't mean to offend anyone, but if your feelings are so delicate as to have been offended, I will apologize, even though your sensitivity was more to blame than my statement."

I won't say she should be unemployed, but she certainly shouldn't be a counselor for impressionable eighth graders. Maybe a slight career shift would be in order--I'm sure the janitorial staff could use a little more manpower.

Comments:
I totally agree with you on this. I cannot stand it when someone "fakes" an apology and to me that is what that was. And, as a parent, I would be very upset if she was ever left to handle the pledge again.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?